Monday 11 April 2011

Are you training for function?



I've just come back from an enlightening weekend conference with Dr. Craig Liebenson, one of the worlds's experts on functional assessment and training. After two days of working to improve my own function I'm a little bit sore and a lot motivated to change how I'm working out and help my patients with how they're functioning on a daily basis.

Coming into work this morning I passed by a very large, seemingly fit gentleman who was having great difficulty tying his shoes. His muscle bulk was impressive, but he had developed so much muscle that he was unable to bend forward enough to reach his own feet. Instead of working to build more muscle he should be working to improve him range of motion through his hips and low back. It really brought home to me how often we training for a look rather than to be functional in our everyday lives.

 My challenge to all of you this week is to look at how you exercise and see if you are working out in a way that will help you with activities you do everyday. Are you lifting and squatting? Are you increasing your walking speed and getting your heart rate up? Or are you so focused on achieving a look that you aren't improving the physical skills you use everyday?

We all want to look fit, but truly BEING fit and functional is a lot more important.

Also, check out Dr. Liebenson's blog for some great info!


No comments:

Post a Comment